Monday, December 31, 2012

Reflection

Like a tornado, Christmas came in so fast it left us spinning.  When it was over, we were left with a mess, scratching our heads wondering what happened.  No matter how hard I try to make sure I savor the season, it always runs me over and leaves me feeling like I missed it.  This year was a little better, however.  With Quinn being home the entire time, it was easier to fit all of the celebrations in.  It was nice not having to juggle things on my own, and although the kids love it, I was thrilled not to have to spend Christmas in a hotel.  We still had an incredibly busy season and our house still looks like a tornado came through leaving entirely too many toys! 

Welcoming a new year always seems to bring a time of reflection for me.  I've never been big on making resolutions, but I do like to look back over the past year and reflect on all of the blessings and all of the memories before I get swept up into the next year.

It seems as if every year I look back and say "Wow!  That was some year!"  This year was no different.  The beginning of 2012 started out a little sad for me...  Most of us had big birthdays - Emma turned two, Elijah turned 10 and Quinn and I turned 35.  I'm normally not one to dwell on my age, and it's never really bothered me... until I turned 35!  For some reason it just seems old.  With Emma being our last baby, her entrance into toddler-hood was a little rough for me.  And it just seems really impossible that our first born is 10 (now soon to be 11)! 

With the kids getting a little older, we felt more comfortable taking on a few more things outside of the home.  Quinn and I are on The King's Academy school board, I took on a position at the school as the Fundraising Coordinator and I also began volunteering more with young, unwed mothers in our community.  It's been nice to add these things to our plates and we feel it's important to show our kids the importance of serving others.

As I reflect on 2012, I have peace.  Peace that we are on the right path to being where God wants us to be.  Peace that, although we will never be parents of the year, our kids are becoming little people that I am proud of.  Peace that despite Quinn being layed off twice this year (and still layed off), God's provision is still amazing. 

With each passing year, my goal is always to make the coming year better than the last.  The older I get the more I realize that "better" doesn't mean making more money or acquiring more things.  There's nothing tangible that can ever make us "better".  I'm learning that becoming a better person requires us to be more intentional in what we do.  It also requires us to stop and look what is right in front of us.  This world is a scary place to live in right now, but I believe change comes when we reach out to those closest to us because there are always people within our reach that need us to love them and show them the Light of Christ.  Jesus demonstrated how to love those around us... He was the first to reach out to those around him, despite their economic status and despite their sins -he proved that by simply showing love we can change the world!

We seem to be in a constant state of awe by the people God has placed in our lives.  Friends that have turned into family members and love us completely and unconditionally.  We are grateful for our four healthy children and our marriage that, despite what the world throws at us, seems to get stronger with each passing year. 

We would like to wish our friends and family a very Happy New Year!!




No comments:

Post a Comment