Monday, October 8, 2012

Be Patient and Keep Your Mouth Shut!

I have to chuckle a little realizing that my last blog post was two months ago and titled "I Ran Away From Home"!  I did come home from my trip to Colorado - I had an awesome time with Nikki and it was exactly what I needed:  fresh air, girl time, shopping, mountain hiking and no schedules!  After coming home, I jumped head first into an incredibly busy time for us as a family.  The boys were starting soccer, and school was getting ready to start.  As the Event Coordinator of the school, I had lots to do to prepare for our back to school barbeque and the first day of school.  

Two days after I got home from my trip, we were notified that Quinn would be getting layed off from his job - for the fifth time.  The company has been struggling for a while so it didn't come as a shock to us.  We are blessed to know that we will be fine, financially and that God will provide.  Quinn is currently driving a bus for a friend of ours who owns a bus ministry - he's driving college sports teams to games and youth groups to certain events.  He really enjoys it and I'm glad he has something to keep him busy (and out of my hair!!).

While I'm not worried that we will be able to feed our children or pay our bills, I do worry (way too much) about the details of it all.  In my former life (before children) I was an event planner - I worked for an agricultural association planning their board meetings, educational seminars and conventions.  Since having children, I have been blessed to be able to be a Wedding Planner in my spare time.  Details are my thing... in any event, every step needs to be carefully orchestrated and thought out... and in the case of something going wrong, you have to have a plan B and C and maybe even D.   In the past, every time the Airline hits a little turbulence, I am standing by with 8 different backup plans waiting for Quinn to choose one!  Unlike me, Quinn is an incredibly patient person.  He likes to make sure Plan A is dead and burried and then mourns for a while before moving on to plan B.  With most situations, this wouldn't work, but with his job, it always works and somehow plan A (his current company) always seems to come back to life.

Frustrated with the lay off and ready to wipe my hands clean of this company and move on so that Quinn can pursue his dreams elsewhere, I sought the advice of a dear friend.  I asked her to meet me for breakfast so that I could vent... I asked her what I should say or do... Do you know what she had the nerve to tell me?  "Be patient and keep your mouth shut."  What kind of advice is that?!  At first, I chalked it up to the fact that she's older and maybe was experiencing some sort of dementia.  I really thought she knew me better!  In all seriousness, I have the utmost respect for this friend and I know she would never lead me astray -so I am taking her advice.  It's painful for me to be patient and keep my mouth shut- really painful.  I trust that Quinn will always take care of us, but more importantly, I am trusting God as our event planner and handing the reigns over to him.  It's killing me not to plan every detail of our lives, but I know that whatever comes, it will be amazing! If he's not recalled to his previous job, I pray that Quinn will be able to find something that makes him happy.

Meanwhile, thank you for your prayers and your concern.  We are fine, really.  I know there are life lessons we have to learn and that God uses every experience for good - that doesn't mean I have to like it, just accept it and give HIM control.  (Way easier said than done!)

1 comment: